Trending Now
Four Suspects Leave for Australia as Police Probe British Tourist’s Death

Four Suspects Leave for Australia as Police Probe British Tourist’s Death

DENPASAR, Bali — Four foreign nationals suspected of assaulting a British tourist in Bali had left Indonesia for Australia a day after the alleged attack, as police investigate whether the incident was linked to his death two weeks later.

Paul Innes Dougan, a British national, died at BIMC Hospital in Kuta at around 12:06 p.m. on Thursday, August 20, after receiving medical treatment following the alleged assault at a bar in Legian, Kuta, Badung.

The incident occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, August 5. Police received a report from Paul’s family on August 20, the day he died.

Denpasar Police Chief Kombes Pol. Leonardo David Simatupang said investigators had identified four men suspected of being involved in the incident.

The four, identified by their initials as RGG, PAM, JRM and TRZ, were identified as Australian nationals, according to the police chief. Immigration records showed that they left Indonesia for Australia through I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport on August 6.

Police inspect the scene of the alleged assault in Kuta, Badung. (Photo: Bali Police)

Police are examining CCTV footage, amateur video recordings and statements from witnesses, including Paul’s family, security personnel and employees at the venue where the alleged assault took place.

However, investigators have not yet established whether injuries allegedly suffered by Paul were directly responsible for his death.

“We are still examining the connection between the victim’s medical condition and the alleged assault,” Leonardo said.

Police are coordinating with forensic doctors and the hospital to obtain Paul’s complete medical records and determine the exact cause of death.

Leonardo said investigators would not draw conclusions before all available evidence, medical records and forensic findings had been examined.

Paul remained at his hotel in Kuta for several days after the alleged assault. On August 8, staff from Murni Teguh Hospital picked him up from the hotel for medical treatment.

The following day, August 9, his son, Liam Michael Dougan, took him to BIMC Hospital, where he was admitted through the emergency department and subsequently received treatment.

Paul was pronounced dead at BIMC at around 12:06 p.m. on August 20. His body was later transferred to Dharma Yadnya General Hospital in Denpasar.

Liam had previously posted updates about his father’s condition on Instagram, saying Paul had been assaulted by a group of Australians while on holiday in Bali.

According to Liam, Paul suffered bleeding and broken ribs and underwent three major surgeries and four blood transfusions. Those medical details have not been independently confirmed by police.

Liam has also filed a police report in connection with the incident.

The investigation remains ongoing as police work to establish what happened at the Legian bar, the respective roles of the four suspects and whether the alleged assault was connected to Paul’s death.

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, this article may contain minor inaccuracies
in names, locations, or event details. Readers are welcome to contact the editorial team for any clarification.

Source link